Thursday, November 27, 2008

NaNoWriMo - Winner!


Well, I did it! 51376 words in 26 days!

I've impressed myself. I started with a couple characters and a vague start to a story. My technique was to sit alone in the kitchen, away from TV and family and write for a couple of hours. This produced around 2000 words at a sitting. I managed to sneak a whole day while Julie was out, and managed over 5000. That gave me a buffer and took the pressure off.

My word processor counted the words as over 52000, but the NaNo site reduced the count by around 1000, but still sufficient to qualify as 'Winner'.

Each time the story stalled or lost direction, I used the 'what if' approach to think what would happen next. What started as a blend of Hogwarts and St Trinians, ended as a sci-fi murder mystery.

The completed novel (sounds good!) needs editing and a lot of sorting, but there is no urgency so I can get back to that after I've had a break.

I started a new job on the 17th and that added to the things I had to achieve, and then on 25th my daughter gave birth to a baby boy. Now I have to complete the Spiritualist church Autumn newsletter and get started on the UNISON winter edition!

Phew! I shall take a break for a while.

No comments: